The Real Congregation :: The Monkees – Part Two :: 11/26/13
Mike Nesmith, Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork were hired to portray a band in a television series. In the span of their first two and a half years, they’d go on to become a real, live, working band that outsold The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined. Under the direction of Bert Schneider and Bob Rafelson, they’d also come to redefine television as we know it.
This episode focuses on the murky underworld of the years from 1968-1970. The television show was over, but the band went on to make possibly the most bizarre and wonderful feature film of all-time, Head. Ill-fated attempts at television specials and appearances ensued, and at least one of the remaining members was publicly losing their grip on reality.
It’s safe to say that today’s entertainment landscape would be virtually unrecognizable without the influence of The Monkees. Marc With a C is joined by fellow Monkees fanatic/expert Chris Zabriskie for this two-part episode!
- Circle Sky (live) :: The Monkees
- As We Go Along :: The Monkees
- Prithee :: The Monkees
- You & I :: The Monkees
- Shorty Blackwell :: The Monkees
- Mommy & Daddy (original version) :: The Monkees
- Little Girl :: The Monkees
- Listen To The Band :: The Monkees
- Steam Engine :: The Monkees
- If I Ever Get To Saginaw Again :: The Monkees
- Do You Feel It Too? :: The Monkees
- Tell Me Love :: The Monkees
- The Porpoise Song :: The Monkees
- Hear the first episode of our Monkees exploration here!
- Chat about this episode on the Nerdy Show forums!
- Chris Zabriskie’s official website.
- See the ultra-weird film trailer for Head.
- 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee. Not for beginners.
- Amazing silent footage of the 1969 tour
- The AV Club puts forth the notion that “Listen To The Band” is the true theme song for The Monkees
- Our theme song is by The Evolution Control Committee!