Nerdy Show Interview: 15 Years of Donnie Darko With Richard Kelly
When The Nerdy Show Network’s flagship podcast isn’t unloading on the latest geek news and happenings, we’re diving deep into super-specific discussions and interviews.
Donnie Darko is one of the greatest cult films of all time and a defining moment in 21st century cinema. It’s a love letter to outcasts, anyone who grew up in the 1980s, and fans of the finest thought-provoking horror and sci-fi. For its 15th anniversary, the film is getting re-released on the big screen in a new 4K edition, and we’re thrilled to commemorate the occasion by speaking with writer/ director Richard Kelly.
Join Cap and Consequence of Sound Editor-in-Chief, Michael Roffman as they look back on the cultural impact of the film and time travel to Kelly’s past; making cheese plates for Madonna and filming unapproved musical sequences. We gain metaphysical insights into the mysterious links between Donnie Darko and Kelly’s other films (Southland Tales and The Box), get hints a projects still to come, and discuss the music that defined the era. Plus Cap and Mike delve deep into the nature of nostalgia, their action figure collecting pasts, and much more.
Support Nerdy Show!
- Nerdy Show Shirts
- Support the show
- Shop on Amazon via Nerdy Show
- Rate & review us on iTunes
- Other Nerdy Show Stuff!
Richard Kelly Links:
- The text version of our interview/ discussion over on Consequence of Sound
- See Donnie Darko‘s 15th Anniversary theatrical rerelease
- Donnie Darko on BluRay
- The Donnie Darko soundtrack
- Southland Tales: Book I | Book II | Book III | The Film
- The Box
- Consequence of Sound‘s Stephen King podcast: The Losers’ Club
- Consequence of Sound‘s article “Behold! The Stephen King Cinematic Universe”
- Cap’s Stephen King art
- Cap and Mike talking X-Files in 2013
- Our Star Wars podcast: State of the Empire
- Cap’s further explorations of Seth Speaks
- Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul by Jane Roberts
- Tears For Fears’ Songs From the Big Chair
- Joni Mitchell’s Dog Eat Dog
- Paul Simon’s “The Boy in the Bubble” Video | Song
- Jethro Tull’s Under Wraps
- Kansas’ Drastic Measures
- Carly Simon’s Spoiled Girl