Nerdy Show 207 :: Cyberpunk is Dead, Long Live Cyberpunk
This one goes out to the technophiles living in the midst of urban decay; subsisting solely on soylent and jacked wi-fi – the coolest literary wastrels of the 20th century: the cyberpunks.
Join high-tech lowlifes Cap, Jess, Jon, Brandon, and Denika as we get lost in the neon-lit dystopia of one of our favorite sci-fi subgenres. We examine cyberpunk’s origins in the techno-future of the 80s, how our present reality reflects the sci-fi fears of the era, and how, though the movement was pronounced dead, it continues to evolve.
This double-length Microsode was brought to you by the combined forces of Nerdy Show fans Zombiepops and Jobarda.
- Nerdy Show Book Club Featuring Neuromancer
- Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash
- Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology Edited by Bruce Sterling
- Claire Evans’ High Frontiers
- Claire Evans’ Article “Ten Science-Fictional Thinkers On the Past and Future of Cyberpunk”
- Claire Evans’ Article “What Happened to Cyberpunk?”
- Bruce Bethke’s Short Story that Invented the Word “Cyberpunk”
- Warren Ellis’ Transmetropolitan
- Hövding, Airbag for Cyclists
- Is the Interent Starting to Fracture
- Facebook’s African Drones
- Super Galaxy Squadron
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (40.3MB)